Ramit Sethi is running a Save $1000 in 30 days Challenge over at I Will Teach You To Be Rich. Some of the options are no brainers (Pack lunches for the rest of the week), while some are pretty innovative (Use gas prices to become your own hedge fund).
So far there are 25 tips (listed under the cut). Some are geared towards people with cars and houses but for the most part, I think we can use most of them them. It may be too late to start the challenge with him on his site but I def recommend trying some of these tips for yourself. Check Ramit’s site often for more tips.
All 25 Tips
- Pack lunches for the rest of the week
- Turn your thermostat down 3 degrees
- Sell something on eBay today
- Involve your friends in your savings challenge
- Optimize your cellphone bill
- Use gas prices to become your own hedge fund
- Create a “No Spending” day once a week
- Implement the A La Carte Method
- Only buy new things when replacing something old
- Use the free rewards from your credit card, car insurance, and workplace
- Never pay full retail price for clothes or eyeglasses again
- How I’m saving $2,000+ on eating out in 2009
- How to negotiate your car insurance
- Use self-persuasion to share how much you’ve saved so far
- Forget going to a bar — ask people over for dinner
- Cancel any large purchase this month
- Buy generic for the stuff you don’t care about
- No Christmas gifts this year
- Save Money, Eat Well and Look Hot in Less Than an Hour
- Change the date of Christmas
- Save thousands by pre-paying your debt
- Analyze your progress in the 30 Day Challenge
- Go cash only for 15 to 30 days
- Cut your commute expenses by 40%
- Earn more money using your God-given skills
As for me, I’m trying1, 6, 7, 9, 11, 21 and 23. Wish me luck.
Are you going to try any of these?